A perfect replica!
The site was discovered in 1940 by 4 Périgord teenagers.
After the war, Lascaux was open to the public for many years until it was closed in 1963. The steady stream of visitors (1,500 a day) and the carbon dioxide and human breath were beginning to degrade the prehistoric paintings in the decorated cave. Today, the original Lascaux is closed.
However, to enable everyone to admire the masterpieces of prehistory, an identical reconstruction of the Lascaux site has been undertaken (same paintings, same techniques, same pigments, etc.). This is the Centre International d'Art Pariétal de Montignac-Lascaux.